Wednesday, November 12, 2008

From one hiatus to the next

And now for a long, long overdue update.

It’s been rough going lately. A family member became ill and died this fall. That was of course bad enough, but it happened outside of the country, which became a logistical nightmare. Things have somewhat returned to normal, but this entire year has been tough, with several major disruptions to our lives. I’ve been simply exhausted, and getting back into the flow of regular painting and blogging has been surprisingly difficult.

A number of people have written to me asking where I’ve been. Thank you: This has meant a lot to me. I believe I’ve now responded to everybody; if you did write me and didn’t hear back, I sincerely ask forgiveness.

So… I’m going to end the year with one more disruption, but a good one this time. As long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to go to India, but the planets never properly aligned. Last week they did. An opportunity has come up for me to go and see the ordination ceremony for a friend of mine who is a Buddhist monk. I hesitated since it was such a last-minute thing, but my partner Sean has practically pushed me out the door (apparently I haven't beeen much fun to be around lately).

My flight's tomorrow evening, and I'll be there for a month. I’ll be spending 10 days at a monastery outside Bangalore, and after that I’ll be playing it by ear. Tentatively, I’m thinking of a short trip to Mumbai, then longer stays in Jaipur and Varanasi.

I should be in places with decent internet connectivity, so in theory (and I can’t stress the theory part of it enough), I should be able to do a few posts while I’m there… IF I can get my act together and keep it together. I’ll also be bringing paint (watercolors!) .

Do I plan to get back to regular painting and blogging? Absolutely. Assuming I can still lift a paintbrush in a month, I’ll be throwing myself into work; hopefully refreshed and newly-inspired.

Thanks to everyone for keeping links here and checking in on me!

Best wishes,

8 comments:

Dawn Chandler said...

Jeff ~

My deepest sympathy to you and what you've been going through this year. I am relieved though to know that you are okay. I've been checking your site several days per week all autumn, and with no posts, I've been worried for you.
Your trip to India sounds like good medicine.
Bon voyage and live life large while you're over there!

~ Dawn, A Relieved Admirer ;)

PastelGuy said...

Jeff,

Sometimes taking the bull by the horns is the best way. Doors open for reasons, and you're a smart man to walk through. I'll look forward to interesting material when you return.

Peaceful journeys,
Pastel Guy

Andy said...

Very sorry to hear of your bereavement Jeff. I've often visited the site and wondered what had happened, and missed your beautiful paintings of course. India sounds interesting, hope you do manage to do some watercolours while there, I'm sure they'll be worth seeing.

All the best
Andy

Katherine said...

Sorry about your trials, but I'm so pleased you're having this wonderful trip! Wishing you health, adventures and inspiration! -Kate.

Katherine said...

Oh dear Jeff - I do hope you're not caught up in the Mumbai business. Thinking of you.

Zoe said...

Great work, Jeff. Glad I stumbled upon your blog while searching for an elusive figurative artist. It's awesome that you're going to India. I also have always wanted to visit India. However, now I'm very concerned whether you are alright, given when you stopped blogging and the recent tragedy in Mumbai. Hoping for the best, man. Keep up the great work!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Oh dear, I'm so sorry for your loss. I admire your work and hope someday to get into the South End Open Studios to visit you.
I hope your trip is awesome!

Jeff Hayes said...

Thank you all very very much! I appreciate the comments and thoughts a great deal.

-Jeff

BTW - going forward I've decided to do most of my blogging at my other blog.