Thursday, August 7, 2008

More underpaintings...


In progress: waterglass, blue plate, red peppers

I realized yesterday I was running out of completed underpaintings. That isn't good planning, so I'm spending the rest of the week working on new ones - hopefully they'll be ready to work on starting next week.

I've been vacillating between using full-color underpaintings (color wash), and the monochromatic flavor (grisaille). I honestly haven't made my mind up which is better, or easier. Having been working mostly with color washes for the last month, I will say that I've been disappointed: it has been difficult to get the body I've wanted in the areas of transparent pigment. So this week, I'm back to using grisaille.

Flexibility is good.

Oh - I'm also keeping a photographic record of the progress of these paintings, so I'll be able to make more videos. I'm not going to make separate vids of just the underpainting; I'll wait until the whole thing is done and then compile them into the short movies.

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Your movies are marvelous, your paintings exquisite.
So, you do lots of paintings at the same time, I should try that. I get stuck on one, and then become paralysed. Why did I think I couldn't have more than one on the go?
... Thanks for all the tips, Jeff!
Oh, your technorati list hasn't me on it.
http://delphine-angua.blogspot.com/2008/07/accolade.html

Jeff Hayes said...

Thanks Katherine; having multiple paintings in progress of course makes it a little more confusing, but it works very well with me. I have a short attention span, and get bored really fast. When that starts to happen, it's good to have other paintings to switch to right away.

And yes, I did see and include your mention in the contest - thanks for entering!

dkvision said...

I apologize in advance if you have answered this question somewhere else. I am getting caught up on reading your blogs. When you have a bunch of underpaintings done do you also have all of the still lfes sitting around for all of those paintings? Or do you work from photos from that point?