Wednesday, August 27, 2008

In Progress



Today's in-progress piece. I did the underpainting about 2 months ago, and it was done in full-color (colorwash; there's a recent post here about the comparison between that technique and grisaille).

As I was getting ready to start on this, I was struck by the charm of the transparent washes of color. They seemed to have a light and warmth that is hard to capture with opaque applications of paint.

I'm going forward with a full, opaque layer of paint with this one, but in the future, I'd like to experiment with allowing some of the underpainting to show through... if even on the edges.

2 comments:

Deborah Paris said...

Loved seeing your under paintings, Jeff. I do transparent under paintings, then glaze over them. Some portions of my work will then get opaque paint but I leave much of the surface transparent with the under painting showing through the glaze layers.Of course, you really have to get the under painting right to work that way, but its exciting to me. Would love to see what you do with it!

Shelley Whiting said...

Your still lives are lovely. The reflections and shadows are amazing. I especially love the small and intimate atmosphere. Beautiful works.