Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Working with magnification






Since I work small in general, and this week have been doing true miniatures, I thought I'd post about the magnification I use. A few months ago when I started considering magnifying the work, I wound up looking at the high-end products intended for specialized manufacturing.

This was overkill.

Fortunately, I decided to try a low-end approach first, and then lay out the big bucks if really necessary. So far, it's worked very well. I purchased 2 clamp-on flexible magnifiers, one of 2x magnification and the other of 3x. Between them, they provide me with the range of views I seem to need. They are easily moved out of the way, and I don't feel undue eye strain for the most part. I don't remember the details offhand, and don't feel like looking for the invoice, but I think the total cost was less than $20.

The effect on the painting was immediate. It sharpened and cleaned up the detail like I'd almost never been able to do before. For reference, the painting in progress above is 2x2 inches.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Jeff
I am new to your blog, and I am curious about your set up with the peg board, and how you work with the smaller surfaces. Do you attach them in some way to your easel?

Thanks
Julie

Jeff Hayes said...

Hi Julie,

The paintings are fixed to the pegboard using industrial-strength velcro (available at any hardward store). The pegboards themselves are held in place on the easel using a simple clamp.

Tony Perrotta said...

Hi Jeff. very cool work. the minis are intersting. I used to build 1?35th scale military models and also cast soldiers. Stopped modelling when I found out I'd rather be painting. This reminds me of that kind of work under the Mag Glass. Nice stuff.

Tony

Jeff Hayes said...

Thanks Tony; I've played with model railroads on and off for most of my life. HO scale is something like 1:87, though I never got serious enough to be painting models, etc. I keep the magnifying lenses in my studio :)