Monday, July 7, 2008

William Wray



Guess it's safe to plug other artists here in addition to my own shameless self-promotion...

I just got an email about a show in California by William Wray. Bill's an absolute master of painting urban blight, and often transforming it into something serene and beautiful. I used to paint a lot of urban landscapes - factories, abandoned warehouses, etc., and Bill was one artist I really looked up to... a lot. Obviously, my painting has changed a little (I think we all have to pick something, give it a good run, and make it our own), but I still love looking at his pieces, and wish I had painted most of them.

Almost makes me want to spend the afternoon out in the great industrial wasteland, brush in hand...

Oh - I should add I was enjoying his work on Ren & Stimpy long before I was looking at fine art on a regular basis...

1 comment:

eliza ollin said...

I am so in love with what he's doing lately! South Connector, Parking Available, and Santa Anita Exit are my current top three...I just love that blimp, the color, the glare...