Monday, July 28, 2008

Special Effects


In Progress: Teacup and Teapot

There's a whole lot more to making a good painting than trying to capture dramatic visual effects. Concentrating on just those can even cheapen the artwork.

Right. That's what I should say. Blah Blah Blah.

What-Ever, though, cause DAMN I love it when I try an effect and it comes off. I couldn't name it if my life depended on it, but years ago I saw a 19th century still-life where the objects were emerging from soft-edged shadows and in turn casting very hard shadows. I think it was a Fantin-Latour piece.

It was a gorgeous effect that I've often thought about, so I wanted to have a go at it myself; in this case the right edge of the small teapot.

Not perfect, but I really like this one. Sometimes it is all about the effects.

Voila.

6 comments:

Katherine said...

I think the drama of your paintings is wonderful. The light and colours you find in it, are consumate. I'm even in the process of trying a little still life myself, which I rarely do these days.

Jeff Hayes said...

Thanks Katherine - I'll drop by your blog to see what you come up with!
-Jeff

Deborah Paris said...

Lovely, Jeff. A real sense of mystery in this one. Thanks for dropping by my blog and for the link!

Jeff Hayes said...

Thanks Deborah; it was a real pleasure.

eliza ollin said...

ditto to everything Katherine said! I love this one too...the light, shadow, edges, colors, all gorgeous...

Jeff Hayes said...

Thank you Eliza!