Thursday, July 3, 2008

Photographing Paintings

Painting a day: White Carnations Study


I just spent the last few hours photographing the current batch of finished paintings, cropping and editing the images, and preparing them for posting and sale.

This is probably one of my least-favorite studio chores. There's a lot of trial-and-error to get a decent image, and then a lot of busy-work for the editing. None of it is exactly stimulating either, more like drudgery. But... it's kindof important if I care about anybody else seeing the paintings, which I absolutely do.

Taking photos of paintings isn't just point-n-shoot, and there is a specific process I go through. This is the kind of thing that would probably interest some people, so the next time I photograph a batch of finished pieces, I'll plan to post on the process as well. That should be in about 2 weeks.

The above painting is from the newly-finished batch. Click on the image to see the eBay listing.

4 comments:

Ed Terpening said...

Congrats on your new blog. I am looking forward to it. I too have challenges photographing my larger work (I scan the small paintings), so looking forward to that post.

Jeff Hayes said...

First comment - thanks Ed! You know, I see a lot of people making great scans of smaller pieces, but I could never make it work. One of these days I should have another go at it.

Katherine said...

I have trouble with the reflection of the flash...so I either photograph outside in bright shade...then adjust the colour in adobe photoshop....or photograph inside with flash, but on an angle, then warp the image back to square in Adobe Photoshop... either way, a hassle, and, as you say Jeff, drudgery.

I do enjoy your blog, and your paintings. Do you happen to send to New Zealand?

Jeff Hayes said...

Hi Katherine - yeah the glare -even without flash - is the biggest problem. There actually is a way around it, and that's what I'll be writing about when I do the next post on photographing finished paintings. I said it would be this week, but... everything changes :)

And yes, I do ship internationally!