Monday, July 21, 2008

Making movies




A couple months ago I made a slew of painting movies; basically time-lapsed photos of the work in progress, stitched together with some music. I got a lot of positive feedback, and lots of views on YouTube.

They were fun to make too, but they took a long time. Basically the process was to shoot a whole bunch of stills while painting, using my all-purpose digital cam. At the end, download them, crop and resize ALL so the sequence wouldn't look too choppy, add them into my video software, adjust as much as possible for lighting etc, add music, and compile.

Could mean hours of editing for each one.

I think it is actually important to be able to show this kind of process, and I'm eager to do more. Just not eager to spend as much time on it.

I've been looking for ways to speed things up. I dug up an extra webcam we had, and experimented with it while working today. Unfortunately, it's not the answer; the image quality sucks, as you can plainly see above.

Back to the drawing board.

No comments: