Friday, July 18, 2008

Grim news



Lascaux may be doomed. An apparently bungled air conditioning installation has given rise to the second outbreak of fungi on the cave walls in 8 years. Current abatement efforts have failed, and the damage continues unchecked. Having survived for 17,000 years, some of the paintings may now be lost in as little as 6 months.

Unless the responsible authorities can get their act together, Unesco is threatening to place the caves on its list of endangered world heritage sites.

5 comments:

Katherine said...

Rats.

elaine k bond said...

Funny you're talking about Lascaux, I live less than 1 hour from there and I'm going next week with my grand daughter...she's 10 and she's only gonna see the repliqua...I was lucky to see the original...hum...40 years ago? What is happening is very very sad...

Jeff Hayes said...

Yeah, it is a real bummer, and kind of a sad irony that the very technology put in place to preserve it might actually be leading to it's demise.

That's great you got to see the originals, Elaine... must've been very special.

Candy Barr said...

Rats indeed Katherine! I named my last cat who was BLACK Lascaux..she would remind me of what the caves looked like with no lights on.

Jeff Hayes said...

lol - the other name I was thinking about for this blog was "Painting in the Dark"