Thursday, June 26, 2008

2 object composition




I actually did manage to finish off that second underpainting for the day - see above.

For a long while, I've been primarily doing grisaille underpaintings; all gray. Lately I've been returning to color washes; underpaintings in very thin layers of full color. I originally learned this when I studied with Dennis Cheaney. At first, it seemed like a waste of time, and I only used it in class. Recently, though, I'm seeing it as almost a rehersal to the final painting. Interestingly, I also find it doesn't take any more time than a completely gray scale version would.

Looking at my current works in progress, I just realized I have a number of paintings that have 2 objects in them. Ironically, it seems more difficult to make a satisfying composition with 2 objects than with 3 or even more. Not entirely sure why, probably easier to create balance and counterpoint with more objects. Anyway, of these, I'm thinking this one seems to have the best composition.

No comments: